Thursday, November 3, 2011

Way to Go Girl Scouts: Locavore Badge



It may or may not come as a surprise, but I was a Girl Scout. And not just a Junior troop dropout. But full on, Brownie to Senior scout. I sold cookies, marched in parades, traveled to the U.S. Virgin Islands AND Bermuda with my troop, and even served as the youth representative on my county's Girl Scout board of directors. Seriously.

Given this, I can't tell you how tickled I am that the Girl Scouts have introduced a locavore badge! To earn this, Girl Scouts will need to:

1. Explore the benefits and challenges of going local
2. Find your local food sources
3. Cook a simple dish showcasing local ingredients
4. Make a recipe with local ingredients
5. Try a local cooking challenge

After learning this, I want to offer my services. Obviously, I know a thing or two about being a locavore. If any of you troop leaders or scout parents, if you want some ideas on how to earn this badge, I'm happy to help. Send your questions, concerns, and comments my way. As a proud Girl Scout and locavore, I'm all ears!

4 comments:

  1. This totally made my day. And my daughter just started Daisy Scouts! Definitely looking into this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear Bethesda Locavore! Hopefully, you'll stop by here for some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where was this when my girls were there!

    That logo looks vaguely familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa, Thanks for the visit over at Lighthearted Locavore. So great that the Girl Scouts have a growing interest in us Locavores!

    ReplyDelete

 
blog design by brooksiedesign